Under the supervision of the County Judge, the solid waste department maintains a class 4 landfill. The county also provides for county-wide residential curbside trash pick-up through a contract with Waste Corporation of America (WCA). This is provided by a dedicated 1 cent sales tax that the citizens passed in March of 1992. New at the landfill is a wood combustor facility owned and operated by the county where wood waste is burned in an incinerator.
Under the county-wide contract, the county provides once-a-week pick-up for residential waste, recyclables and yard waste. Bulk items must be called in to the contractor to schedule a pick-up.
Contact the Columbia County Landfill for your trash and/or recycle can repairs.
What can be recycled?
These items may be placed in the recycle container.
- Cans - Aluminum & Tin
- Beverage cans, all vegetable cans, cat and dog food cans, coffee cans.
- Corrugated cardboard, food boxes, brown paper bags, feed sacks.
- Newspapers, copy paper, magazines, phone books, hardback and paperback books.
- Basically drinking bottles, laundry bottles, milk jugs and such.
These items may be carried to Abilities Unlimited at 223 West University Street in Magnolia.
- Televisions, computer monitors, CPUs, laptops.
Columbia County Landfill is located at 41 Columbia 246.